How to apply to the Graduate School?
Welcome to the Graduate School Life Science Munich (LSM), from Molecules to Systems!
If you are interested in doing a doctoral thesis with a member of the LSM, you need to apply via our online portal.
Timeline for the application proceedure:
- Beginning of the application, Oct 14th 2019 (12:00 noon CET) onwards, opening of the LSM online application system;
- Deadline for submitting the applications has been extended until: 5th of December 2019, 12:00 noon CET !
- Deadline for submitting the letters of reference by the referees has been extended until: 8th of December 2019, 12:00 noon CET !
- Only fully submitted applications will be forwarded for pre-screening;
- Should the application deem worthy, it will be evaluated by 3 members of the Grad. School;
- Invitation to the interview days in Munich will be sent early January;
- Interview days: 11-13 February 2020;
- Final decisions on whether the candidate is accepted will follow shortly after the interview(s) takes place;
- Start of doctoral study, as agreed upon with supervisor, this takes into consideration when funding becomes available.
Please take note of the following rules and considerations:
You have to apply with our online application tool;
Applications via mail/email will not be accepted;
Incomplete applications will not be considered and will be deleted after 3 months due to data protection laws;
Deadline for submitting the applications: 29th of November 2019, 12:00 noon CET !
Deadline for submitting the letters of reference: 4th of December, 12:00 noon CET !
Applications which are not submitted will not be considered;
We do not charge application fees;
There are no tuition fees;
All courses are held in English.
For internal candidates, you are applying to the graduate school only, as you have already started your doctoral studies with a LSM group member. (cut-off period within the 1st year of starting your doctoral thesis: doctoral candidates who started more than six months ago must submit 1st TAC pre- and post- report during the online application)
For external candidates you are applying, not only to the graduate school but also and most importantly, for a doctoral position (available as seen on this doctoral projects page)
The six steps to submit your application to the LSM doctoral programme:
- Register online, After successful registration you will receive a confirmation link via e-mail that allows you to log in.
- Log in with your personal username and password at the LSM online application system and fill out your application form.
- Upload all required documents.
- Contact your referees and get their affirmation to write a recommendation on your behalf. Then fill out the tabs for references contacts in the online application form and "save". Once you have done this step, you have authorized the automatic tool to invite the referee to submit his/her letter of recommendation electronically. It is your responsibility to ensure they send in their letters of reference! You will receive confirmation via email of such!
- Submit your application by clicking on the "Save and Submit" button in the upper menu of the application site.
Acceptance of complete applications will be confirmed electronically in the "My progress" menu button of your application form.
Submission of each letter of recommendation to the coordination office will be confirmed electronically in the "My progress" section of your application form. Additionally, you will be informed via email as soon as one of your referees has submitted a recommendation on your behalf. Furthermore, the referee will also receive an email confirming the receipt of the recommendation letter.
Only complete applications with 2 letters of reference will be considered.
Written applications to the LSM coordination office are not processed and will not be returned.
Applications will be independently reviewed by several faculty members of the Graduate School LSM. Based on academic qualification, research experience, motivation, scientific background and the letters of recommendation, candidates will be selected for the interview days (11-13 February 2020) in Martinsried/Munich. Travel expenses will be covered by the Graduate School (within the permitted airfare prices/ accomodation at a youth hostel may be refunded).
Successful applicants will be offered a doctoral study position, which generally is financed by third-party funds of the supervisor. The monthly salary is around 1.100 EUR.
At the time of application, the last final exam should have taken place during the past four years.
For detailed information about the LSM programme, please go to our website.