MatLab workshop, by Mathworks (Trainer: Dr. Yvonne Blum)
Where: Biocenter, Room G00.031
For this workshop you will be provided with the software for the duration of the course, please bring your own laptop.
Fundamentals: This two-day course will provide a comprehensive introduction to the MATLAB technical computing environment. This course is intended for beginning users and those looking for a review. Topics will include:
• Data analysis
Prerequisites: Undergraduate-level mathematics and experience with basic computer operations
Data Processing and Visualization: This one-day course focuses on importing and preparing data for
data analytics applications. The course is intended for data analysts and data scientists who need to automate the processing, analysis, and visualization of data from multiple sources. Topics include:
• Importing data
• Processing data
• Customizing visualizations
• Working with irregular data
Prerequisites: MATLAB Fundamentals
Adobe Illustrator course, by Dr Andreas Binder
When:15th and 16th of May 2017.
Where: G00.037, Biocenter
Adobe Illustrator is a powerful graphics program for editing and creation of vector-based images. In this two-day workshop we will cover both basic and more advanced functions of the software, which will be helpful to generate scientific posters, figures and presentations.
In detail you will learn about:
- Creation of new documents as well as proper import and export of various file formats (PDF, Word, Excel, bitmap images, etc);
- The basic Illustrator interface and tools;
- How to use groups, layers and artboards to handle more complex documents such as posters;
- Using the align tools and the coordinate system to easily arrange objects and draw exact illustrations;
- Integration of Adobe Photoshop to process and edit bitmap images (microscopic images, scans, etc.)
- Text editing and arrangement;
- Color management;
- Advanced drawing tools, perspective drawing, vectorization and shape modification.
GMP course by GmpAcademy (trainers tba)
When: 4th to 6th of October 2017. The English course is fixed for 3-days programme.
Where: B00.019, Biocenter
Experience with GMP is expected from graduates of Life Sciences in many companies, but they are rarely taught at university. GMP-Knowledge is often a key requirement in employment vacancies, especially in the pharmaceutical industry. For this reason, we are offering a course for students and graduates in the areas of Pharmacy, Biochemistry, Biology and adjacent Sciences.
Cetification: All those who participate will receive a certificate after they have passed the Online-Examination.
- Quality management system;
- Concepts of hygiene;
- Qualification and validation;
- GLP/Labor protection/HSE;
- and Quality assessment;
For LSM students the course fee will be covered by the Graduate School LSM!
Please contact the LSM office, if you are interested in joining the GMP course!
!For all other students! Please sign-up to the course using the provided link, (to be made active in the near future)!
Please note: LSM students should participate in at least two methods courses during their doctoral study.
LSM students are encouraged to attend methods workshops in foreign labs. For this purpose they can apply for the reimbursement of travel expenses and participation fees. Participation should be organized by the student.
Once you have registered for a course provided by the LSM, you will be held responsible to participate or you will be unable to attend any further workshop provided by the LSM and/or surrounding graduate programmes. Please give at least 24hours notice to the LSM office before the course, should you be unable to attend, so that another student may take your place. Should you fall ill on the day of the course, a doctor’s note is necessary.
Previous Methods Courses
- Processing and Analysis of Scientific Images, Biovoxxel by Dr. Jan Brocher (16 to20 Jan. 2017)
- Applied Statistics in Molecular biology by Dr. Axel Strauß (14 to 18 Nov. 2016)
- Python Biobash Workshop (25 to 29 April 2016)
- Adobe Illustrator (21/22 March 2016)
- Comprehensive and Customized Image Processing and Analysis-BioVoxxel (2/3/4 December 2015)
- Statistic R (12 to 16 October) extra day on 30 November.
- Adobe Illustrator (14/15 January 2015)
- Statistic R (October 29-5 November, 2014)