DAAD-LSM-Application for doctoral scholarship
The DAAD and LSM jointly award 2 full scholarships for doctoral study financed by the DAAD Graduate School Scholarship Programme (GSSP). This scholarship will be awarded in 2018! Please visit the DAAD website for a view of their FAQ pages through this link.
LSM announces the call for DAAD-LSM applications for full scholarships for doctoral students, which will be financed by the DAAD GSSP. The holders of the scholarships are selected in a multi-step process jointly conducted by the DAAD and the LSM. The final decisions and the financial administration are made by the DAAD.
LSM is looking for highly motivated international applicants with excellent grades and a strong scientific interest to apply for the doctoral programme in life sciences, who have not been in Germany longer than 15 months by the end of February 2018.
The offered projects of this GSSP-application cover almost all areas of natural and life sciences from Anthropology and Human Biology, Biochemistry, Cell and Developmental Biology, Ecology, Evolutionary Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Pharmacology, and Plant Sciences-for an overview of the types of projects available within the LSM, see doctoral projects 2017. Doctoral projects for 2018 will be announced shortly.
Please take notice of the following rules:
- we only accept applications of foreign students. Please understand that German applications will not be considered for these 2 scholarships;
- the previous stay in Germany has to be shorter than 15 months by the end of February 2018, when you will submit to the DAAD-portal.: Cut-off date for arrival in Germany is thus around end of November 2016 (anyone that arrived or has done a MSc in Germany for longer than these 15 months is no longer eligible!)
- at the time of application, your last final exam should have taken place during the past six years.
- you have to have a Master's or Diploma degree;
- you have to apply with our online application tool;
- applications by mail will not be accepted;
- incomplete applications will not be considered;
- applications which are not submitted will not be considered;
- we do not charge application fees;
Successful applicants will be integrated into the international doctoral programme of the LSM. The programme is taught entirely in English and provides comprehensive scientific training. The members of the Graduate School are part of the Faculty of Biology and the Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy of LMU, München. Scholarship holders will have to be matriculated at the LSM. Upon completion of their doctoral project, 180 ECTS points will be awarded, as well as a Doctor’s degree, a Doctor’s certificate, bilingual transcript of records and Diploma supplement (all in the English language).
The research training on a specific project will be supplemented by seminars, retreats, methods courses, training in transferable and personal skills and participation in international conferences. The doctoral programme is open for students who hold either a Master´s or Diploma degree. Successful students of the graduate school will be awarded a doctoral degree (Dr. rer. nat.) by the Faculty of Biology of the LMU after 3 to 4 years. Candidates need to prove a strong qualitative background as well as an interest and ability to conduct independent research.
Deadline for the DAAD-LSM-application is December 6th 2017, 18:00 CET.
In the following please find detailed information about the rough timeline of the DAAD-LSM application:
Applications for doctoral studies as a DAAD scholarship holder within the Graduate School Life Science Munich can be submitted from October 5th to December 6th, 2017 (8 weeks).
Timeline for the DAAD-LSM application 2018:
- Tuesday, October 5th, 2017: Begin of the DAAD-LSM application;
- Tuesday, December 6th, 2017: Submission deadline, closure of the LSM online application system;
- Dec/January: Evaluation of submitted applications by LSM members (incl. skype interviews-optional);
- Calendar weeks 4/5, 2018: Invitations to interviews in Munich;
- February 27th to March 1st, 2018: Interviews in Munich:
- March 2018: Nomination of candidates for the DAAD selection process; Selected candidates have to submit a completed application form with all supporting documents via the DAAD portal; FAQ_GSSP provided by DAAD.
- April/May/June 2018: Final selection decision is made by a DAAD selection committee composed of University Professors;
- July, 2018: Earliest date for the start of the GSSP scholarship, a German language course sponsored by the DAAD takes place for about 2-4 months.
- Sept/Oct 2018: start of the doctoral studies in the choosen LSM research groups.
The five steps to submit your DAAD-LSM application:
1. Register online. After successful registration you will receive a confirmation link via email that allows you to log in.
2. Log in with your personal username and password at the LSM online application system and fill out your application form. For DAAD-LSM application please select "External candidate" in General Information.
3. Upload all required documents.
4. Contact your referees and get their affirmation to write a recommendation on your behalf. Then fill out the tabs for referee contacts in the online application form and press "save" button at the end of the page. This will elicit the automatic emailing system to contact the referees for their letters of recommendation. DAAD portal has its own form available for downloading-this is for shortlisted candidates only, after interview days.
5. Submit your application by clicking on the "Save and Submit" button at the end of the page.
Acceptance of complete applications will be confirmed electronically in the "My Progress" form.
Submission of each letter of recommendation to the coordination office will be confirmed electronically in the "My progress" form. Additionally you will be informed via email as soon as one of your referees has submitted a recommendation on your behalf. On the other hand, the referee will receive an e-mail from the LSM, which confirms the receipt of the recommendation letter.
We can only accept online applications, which are completed. Consequently, late or incomplete applications will be rejected and deleted from our data base.
Written applications to the LSM coordination office are not processed and will not be returned.
It is recommended to submit your application early. This may be beneficial in case you run into problems during the application process. For example, if one of your referees does not submit a recommendation in time, you will have sufficient time to intervene and respond appropriately to the situation.
Applications will be independently reviewed by several faculty members of the Graduate School LSM. Based on academic qualification, research experience, motivation, scientific background and the letters of recommendation, candidates will be invited to Munich for personal interviews end of February (all costs of travel and accomodation will be covered by the LSM graduate school, excluding visa fees).
Selected candidates from the interviews in Munich will be nominated for the final decision process of the DAAD. Selected candidates will have to submit a completed application form with all supporting documents via the DAAD portal. The final selection decision is made by a DAAD selection committee composed of university professors.
Successful applicants will be offered a full doctoral scholarship, financed by the GSSP programme of the DAAD. The monthly grant will be 1.000 EUR plus travel support, insurances, study and research allowances and if necessary rent or family allowances.
Application window is open between October 5th and December 6th, 2017. Recommendation letters deadline is December 13th, 2017.