Planned Workshops: (last updated 9.04.2020)
Speaking with Confidence with Pete Moore
When: 9 and 15 September 2020
Scientific Writing with Dr. Brian Cusack
When:28-29 September 2020
Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
When: 24.-27. August 2020 (in English)
When: 28. September-02. October 2020 (in German)
Good Scientific Practice with Dr. Michael Mende
When: 12-13 October 2020
Communication and Teams with Sabine Lerch
When: 2,3 and 4 December 2020
day 1: 13 - 17 CET (4 hours with breaks)
day 2: 9 - 12 CET (3 hours with breaks) and 14 - 17 CET (3 hours with breaks)
day 3: 9 - 13 CET (4 hours with breaks)
Sign up per Email !
General notes for transferable skill requirements:
LSM students should participate in at least three transferable skills courses during their doctoral studies. It is not necessary that these courses be those offered by the LSM, so long as you receive a certificate of attendance, this can be handed into the LSM office to count towards your curiculum.
Doctoral students from outside the LSM are permitted to participate in our transferable skills courses, should there be a course of interest to you, please do not hesitate to contact the LSM office.
Once you have registered for a course provided by the LSM, you will be held responsible to participate or you will be unable to attend any further workshop provided by the LSM. Please give at least 48hours working days´notice to the LSM office before the course, should you be unable to attend, so that another student may take your place. If you fall ill on the day of the course, a doctor’s note is necessary.
The GraduateCenter-LMU also offers courses which are open to all LSM students. For details visit
Previous transferable skills courses
If available, course descriptions are provided by clicking on the name of the workshop
- Getting published and peer review with Dr Cusack (16-17 January 2020)
- Self and Time Management with Sabine Lerch-course (11-12 December 2019)
- Leadership skills by Sabine Lerch, 13th and 14th of December 2018
- Scientific writing by Science Craft, 11 and 12 October 2018
- Grant proposal writing by Science Craft, 18th & 19th of June 2018
- Leadership skills by Sabine Lerch, 12th and 13th of December 2017
- Getting Published & Understanding Peer Review by Dr. Brian Cusack, 23rd & 24th of March 2017
- Communication and Team by Sabine Lerch 13th & 14th of December 2016
- Scientific Writing: Scientific Craft by Dr. Brian Cusack 27th & 28th of October 2016.
- Grant proposal writing: Scientific Craft-instructed by Dr.Cusack and Dr. Babette Regierer. 10th & 11th March 2016.
- Presentation skills: M.A. Sabine Lerch, 14th & 15th of January 2016.
- Rhetoric skills and practice: "How to convince with a talk at an academic conference"- Dr Susanne Frölich-Steffen 29th-30th of January 2015 Full description of the course please click here.
- Leadership skills- M.A. Sabine Lerch 11th-12th of February 2015. For a full description please click here.
- Optimizing Writing Strategies for Getting Research Published in English (June 23rd- 24th, 2014 )
- PhD and then? International Career Possibilities with a Start in Science!: April28-29, 2014
- Language Course "English for Scientists": from Dec 12, 2013 to Feb 20, 2014 (eight times á 1,5 h)
- Intercultural Communication ... or how to develop a CQ (Cultural Intelligence): December 9-10, 2013
- Scientific writing: October, 17-18, 2013
Time and self management: July 29-30, 2013
Effective grant writing for scientists: May 16-17, 2013
How to write a scientific paper for peer-reviewed journals: November 19-20, 2012
- Conflict Management: July 25-26, 2012
- Efficient Project Management: June 21-22, 2012
- Presenting professionally: May 24-25, 2012
- Career planning for PhD students: April 26-27, 2012 (as part of the Retreat 2012)
- Career planning for PhD students: November 17-18, 2011
- English for Biologists - Communicating Scientifically: started on September 29, 2011 (eight times à 1,5 h)
- Poster Planning and Design: September 8-9, 2011
- Intercultural Communication: July 28-29, 2011
- Presentation Skills: June 20-21, 2011
- Confidence, Conflict and Communication: February 23-24, 2011
- English for Biologists - Communicating Scientifically:started on October 18, 2010 (eight times á 1,5 h)
- How to write a paper in English: September 30 - October 1, 2010
- Presentation Skills: September 1-3, 2010
- Time Management: April 29-30, 2010
- Project Management in Biotech-Industries: March 12, 2010
- Intercultural Communication: February 10-11, 2010 and March 24-25, 2010
PhD Management: December 8, 2009